Prevent Kids from Choking
This warning, which aim is to prevent from choking on food is raised by a mother, whose 5-year-old kid experienced recently. She shared an X-ray image of a grape stuck in a throat of the kid to remind parents to cut their child’s food into bite-sized pieces.
On the X-ray, you can see a grape, which was removed by the surgery under general anesthetic. Fortunately, the part of the kid’s airway was open or else this could have ended badly, explained Angela Henderson the bad situation on her Facebook profile under the posted photo.
She asked the pediatrician to give her a photo as she is planning to share it on her Facebook post, in order to warn other parents to avoid such a situation. As for conspiracy, the child is not identified in the post.
“Please be careful. And when in doubt just cut…grapes, baby tomatoes, etc.,”
The medical statistics of the New York State Department of Health shows that at least one child dies from choking on food every five days in the United States. This unpleasant condition is very common among children because their windpipe is very small in diameter (only about the size of a drinking straw).
Here are some of the most common foods that get stuck in a child’s throat:
– Hot dogs,
– Ice cubes and others in that size.
Sometimes, children also tend to choke on toys and some other smaller household items.
The New York State Department of Health offers a long list of tips, in order to prevent a child from choking.
Here you can find a few tips regarding food preparation:
– Remove seeds and pits,
– Cut hot dogs lengthwise and widthwise
– Cook or steam vegetables to soften their texture