According to numerous nutrition experts, consumption of various kinds of bread on a daily basis is not healthy.
Here are the reasons for avoiding bread:
Bread can mess up blood sugar levels
Most bread contains Amylopectin-A, which is one of the main components of starch and involved in metabolism. Amylopectin-A places the body in a series of high and low blood glucose and may promote the development of insulin-resistance, which, over time, can lead to diabetes type 2.
Consumption of the bread gives a feeling of euphoria, and the person craves to eat more of it. In most of the cases, it is difficult to remove it from the diet, even if that should be done for health purposes.
It is mucus-forming
The respiratory system could be compromised as the airways can be clogged or blocked.
It contains gluten
Consuming gluten-containing whole foods in moderation will not do anything wrong, but many people these days are showing signs of gluten sensitivity.
It makes the stomach work harder
The starches and gluten in the bread need more time and strong acids to be digested. T\In such a case this makes the stomach work overtime and rises to many digestive complaints.
It has low nutritional value
When the bread is being made most of the nutrients are stripped.
Phytates interfere with the absorption of many vitamins and minerals.
Having all these issues at hand, even healthy food items are being questioned and investigated, including sourdough bread.
The benefits of sourdough bread:
- It contains wild yeast and good bacteria (Lactobacillus)
The ingredients of the sourdough bread predigest the starches — hence, it eases the workload of the stomach and the digestive system as a whole.
Additionally, lactobacilli stimulate the production of lactic acid. This substance stops the negative effect of phytates, which is a component of the flour. The person that consumes this kind of bread is guaranteed of taking in all the vitamins, minerals, and healthy elements.
Thanks to the lactic acid the spikes of the blood glucose are prevented and it slows down the release of glucose into the bloodstream. Lowering the glycemic index of the bread the individuals are less susceptible to hyperglycemia or increased blood sugar level.
The fermentation process, during making the bread, permits other beneficial bacteria to flourish in the gut.
- It is overloaded with nutrients
Sourdough bread possesses vitamins E, B1-B6, B12, thiamin, niacin, folate, iron, riboflavin, selenium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, calcium, and potassium, which is not the case with the commercial break.
In the sourdough bread are not contained toxic preservatives, which can be found in the other types of bread. This is because it has its own natural preservative — acetic acid.
- It is safe for the gluten-intolerant individual
Due to the fermentation process of sourdough bread permits good bacteria breaks down the gluten proteins into small amounts, which makes sourdough bread tolerable for gluten-sensitive people.
Experiments and researches have also exposed that this bread does not damage the intestinal lining in the people who are sensitive to gluten, unlike other bread.
The experts confirmed that the sourdough bread is healthy but it can be consumed in moderation and balance.
Here is a Full Recipe to Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread Starter
- 5 1/4 cups filtered water
- 6 cups flour
1) Combine 1/2 cup flour and a scant 1/2 cup filtered water in a medium to large bowl.
2) Whisk well until smooth and cover the gluten-free sourdough starter with a plate,
3) Keep the bowl in a warm area, without disturbing it
4) Leave it to stay 12-24 hours.
5) The next six days, at least twice a day, at regular intervals, add to the existing starter 1/2 cup of flour and a scant 1/2 cup of filtered water.
6) Mix every time when you add the ingredients, until smooth, and cover. This process is called feeding the starter.
7) The starter should be watched carefully.
8) When the starter is very bubbly and creates a dome on top (2-3 hours after each feeding), you are ready to make bread. This is often called the sponge.