As the weather is getting better and warmer it can bring some problems in your house as it entices ants and other pests who are intruding it. They are trying to find some needs, looking for your food and for saving place.
To protect from the pets you can engage pest control services, but they can be expensive and affect your family budget. Fortunately, there are many effective and very simple ways how to get rid of ants by yourself.
How to Prevent Ants from Getting In Your Home
Prevention is the first step in managing ant issues. As they have a very strong sense of smell and love sugary things, it is important to not leave food unprotected on the counter or in the cupboards. The ants will easily find the way how to reach it. You should be aware that even an opened, empty can of soda can attract ants because of the sugar left on the rim. In order to prevent them, you can rinse the containers that have been in contact with food before you put them in the trash (recycling bin).
How to Get Rid Of Ants
When that happened and ants are already in your home, you can use some natural homemade tricks and try to keep them at bay.
The smell of cinnamon keep the ants away from the place where the cinnamon is located.
– ½ teaspoon cinnamon essential oil
– Cotton balls or cloth
– 1 cup water
– Cinnamon cloves (optional)
1) Mix water with cinnamon essential oil
2) Soak a cotton ball in the mixture
3) Wipe the areas with ants
4) Make this procedure once a day until the ants disappear
5) You can also leave cinnamon cloves near windows and doors
The smell of vinegar also repels ants.
– Distilled vinegar
– Lemon essential oil
– Spray bottle
1) In a spray bottle mix equal parts of water and distilled vinegar
2) Add a few drops of lemon essential oil
3) Before each use shake a spray bottle well
4) Spray around places where you see ants
5) Repeat daily until ants are gone
By using borax you’ll not repel but attract ants so that they’ll want to take the food back to their nest and share it. The borax will ultimately kill all of them.
– 2 tablespoons peanut butter
– 1 teaspoon borax
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 1 teaspoon water
– Sharp object to poke holes
– Plastic container with the lid
1) Mix all ingredients in the container
2) Seal with lid and poke a few holes through the lid
Watch the video for more tricks and information on how to get rid of ants in your yard and your home.
If you cannot control the ants and other pests, it might be better to consult a professional. This help of professionals when your pest problem persists might save you more money and peace of mind for a long period of time.